Part 2: Cultivate Habits that Achieve Success
Distractions of all kinds can slow you down, and they come in many “flavors.” You will find that asking yourself questions will help to make the distractions go away. Here are some examples to get you started when you are veering off-track:
- Do I have control over this?
- Is there a better way to approach this?
- Am I thinking, or overthinking?
- Am I making an excuse to avoid something I don’t want to do?
- Am I making decisions based on my history or on my vision?
Now, take an inventory of your priorities and ask the following questions:
- Am I doing the right things?
- Am I doing enough of the right things?
- Am I doing them consistently?
For those of you who have landed within the last several months, here are some questions to ask yourself:
- Have I established a communication cadence with my manager and with my direct reports?
- Have I identified “what really matters” to others? When you know what matters and you pay attention to that, your communication with that person will be much more powerful.
- Am I identifying “who I need to know and who needs to know me” inside the company?
It’s Time to Focus on Your Habits
If you haven’t yet read Atomic Habits by James Clear, I recommend that you add it to your summer reading list. The following quote is a 4- sentence summary of the book: “Small habits don’t add up, they compound. That’s the power of atomic habits. Tiny changes. Remarkable results.”
You must make room for new habits, so let’s start by leaving some habits behind. Make a list of habits that are not serving you. Habits that are holding you back and tripping you up. As you look at your current habits, ask yourself:
- Does this habit enable me to finish strong?
- Does this habit bring me closer to where I want to be?
- Is this habit an energy creator or an energy drainer?
Now that you’ve made room for new habits, make a list of new habits that you will establish that will serve you and enable you to finish Q2 strong.
- Do you need better health habits—especially sleep?
- Do you need to change your self-talk?
- What is one thing you can do to improve your productivity?
- What is a new habit that will boost your mindset?
Now it is Time to Pick One Thing:
- Pick the one habit that will have the greatest impact.
- Start doing that one thing.
- Celebrate your wins!
HINT: Ask yourself, “What would make ME proud of myself if I could reach July 1st and know I had conquered that one thing?”
Want to learn the definitive answer to implementing the one thing? Here it is… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D3J2QKW/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1